Wednesday, August 4, 2010

1) I liked the use of videos and actual photographs in the preventions. They were engaging and related to the topic and amplified the topic in an effective manner. The travel logs were the most engaging. Derrick's use of video in his presentation brought out a depth in the movie Jaws that I had not previously realized.
2) When your presentation depends on technology and the tech doesn't work, it really does destroy the moment. In my own presentation my laptop was muted. Normally when you adjust the volume of a PC it comes off of mute. Mine didn't and messed up the presentation.
3) I could have improved my presentation by completing my notes and practicing. Also, my slides looked inconsistent. My use of pictures created this impression because of the different way I used them in the slides. Several were picture graphics that didn't add much to the slide other then prettying it up. Another picture was used as a background with white text over. In retrospect it just looked out of place relative to the rest of the presentation.
4) Yes, I like using power point for lessons. I discovered that there are different ways to use power point. The method advocated by the docs we reviewed used power point as a graphic amplifier for a verbally presented lesson. The ppt was not intended to stand alone but required the presenter or notes to ensure that all points were captured. Previously I have used ppt as a document of in a decision making process. For this use ppt must be complete, standalone and not requiring either a presenter of notes to understand the topic after the fact. I intend to use ppt in a mix of the two. Students should be able to review the ppt and understand the topic being taught after class is over. The graphics I will include are those essential for understanding, not a bunch of pretty pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment